Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Moab in May

So, for school this week we decided to go on a three day field trip to Moab and visit Arches National Park to work on our nature journals. The pollen was very high where we decided to camp and my allergies kicked up for the first time in years. The cotton "fluff" was thick like snow on the ground. For the second night we decided to stay in a hotel. To make it fun we went swimming, jumped on beds and watched animal planet (a true treat since we don't have cable).

While we were hiking we had a great time playing in the sand and exploring Arches. This is what we learned on our trip.

Emma:
Don't step on sharp things. It hurts. We saw lots of cool lizards, they were really quick. I can climb up the arches even after I stubbed my toe. Arches are formed with water that goes through the rock. I loved the petroglyphs because they were cool and had horses. We camped and mom got a bad head ache.

Robyn:
To form arches there has to be a pool of water and eventually the water seeps through the rock and forms an arch. Don't step on the live dirt. It's alive. I can climb sand dune arch. There was a lot of fluff that made mom's head hurt.

Aiden:
I forgot. Ahhh... I loved the sand dune arch and playing in the sand. I loved the hill with a lot of sand that was taller than our house. It was fun to run down. It was soft sand and thought it was quick. I liked to climb double arch and that's it.



Robyn carrying Gwen on her back

Aiden running toward double arch

Robyn, Emma and Aiden in front of the petroglyphs near Delicate Arch

Robyn and Emma working on their nature journals

Gwen at the opening to the slot canyon that Sand Dune Arch is located in.

Aiden under Sand Dune Arch

Robyn and Emma on top of Sand Dune Arch

Gwen, Emma, Robyn and Aiden at Sand Dune Arch

No comments:

Post a Comment