Saturday, January 10, 2009

Dan's Engagment Party

In November I got the opportunity to go to Seattle by myself for my little brothers engagement party. He is marrying a very cute girl whose family is from Viet Nam, so they had a traditional Viet Nam engagement party where our family came to her families home in a procession bringing the traditional gifts of different fruits, teas, cakes, Erik and Ron (my two older brothers)won't forget, a big pig (they got the honor of carrying it). At the ceremony the parents each welcome the bride and groom into their family and they talk about how we become as one family when a marriage takes place. I loved the family unity they talked about and all that it represented. Afterwards we went to a restaurant for a 10 course meal which was all delicious. I had a great time spending a few days, without kids, with my family.

The procession with Ron and Erik and the pig
The parents standing with Dan (my niece Ashley to his left) waiting for Jeanette (his fiance) to arrive


Jeanette arriving and being welcomed


Jeanette

Erik, Ron, Jeanette, Dan and myself (Gwen was in Cuba, she'll be there for the wedding)



No comments:

Post a Comment