Sunday, June 3, 2012

California

In April, I took the kids to California with me to attend my cousin Jill's wedding.  We stayed in Berkley with my brothers and took some time to check out the area.  I lost a few pictures some where and can't seem to find them so there are a few events missing from this post.  We had a marvelous time with my family.
 
Jill's wedding was a beautiful evening.  I felt at home amongst the farm girl decor, music and being surrounded by family and loved ones.  Good music, beautiful readings of poetry and verses made the ceremony enjoyable.  The happy couple were adorned with handsome attire.  For the music they had a small group of country music instruments from fiddle to banjo.  There is something about fiddle music that gives me chicken skin.  Between the wedding and the reception, Ron and Michelle took me on a drive to see our Grandma's old house on Geranium Place.  There are so many good memories of summers spent running around that house.  For the reception, Jill and her mom made colorful quilt squares for people to sign on and to decorate the tables with.  Also on the tables, there was home grown canned food as center pieces for people to take home.  I brought home an Indian spiced rhubarb jelly. Yum.  The food was amazing.  The food was served from a food truck just outside of the reception hall.  I had garlic chicken and grits and went back for some ox tail.  A savory and colorful beet salad with citrus dressing was served as well.  My stomach went away very happy and the best part was that I did not feel sick the next day.  Yeah!  It was a splendid evening.
 
 

On our way to California we stopped at the Salt Flats rest stop in western Utah.  The white is all salt.  The kids enjoyed checking it out and brought back a few samples to the car.

 

I had the "grand" idea of stopping in Lake Tahoe on the way for a night.  It was so cold that we were not able to be out side for longer than 5 minutes.  That night, snow decided to fall upon us.  Getting over the pass from Tahoe gave me the opportunity to learn how to put chains on my car.  It was an adventure indeed.


We stayed at a hotel in Berkeley which was right on the San Francisco Bay in the middle of two beautiful parks.  We had a great time walking around the parks.


I forgot how cold and windy San Francisco can be!  Can you see the Golden Gate bridge in this picture?













We traveled to Fisherman's Wharf with my brother Ron and his family.  Good old cousin bonding...


 Gwen and Cousin Lizzy


 We walked by the San Francisco Sour Dough Company


The kids enjoying real fish and chips and watching street performers

 
 




 
We spent one day with my cousin Tracy-Beth, her son Logan, Ron, Michelle and Lizzy at the Exploritorium.  We could have spent a week there.  I loved to watch the kids curiosity spark with the hands on exhibits. On the right side of the museum, you could look into their shop and watch how they build the different experiments. 



After many hours of exploring, we walked across the street to the beach to eat our lunch.  Out on the Bay, a sail boat race was in process.  The kids got wet, played with their cousins and had a great time!



 


 

Cousins from left to right: Emma, Logan, Aiden, Gwen, Eva, Robyn and Lizzy.
 

On Sunday we joined my parents and my Aunt Ann for church at my Grandma's old ward by the Oakland temple.  My Grandma used to live a mile away from here.  I used to love to look out her big bay windows and see the temple glowing in the darkness of night.
 

On our last day we drove an hour and a half to Santa Cruz.  I had planned on taking the kids on rides, but they were too entertained by the water and animal life the subsisted there in.









We had a great trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment